Frequently Asked Questions

Q1 Who is an Active member?

A: This is a Civil Servant who is permanent and pensionable and contributes to the PSPF defined benefit scheme every month.

Q2 Who is a beneficiary?

A: This is a spouse- a person whom the member is married to (also referred to as husband or wife) Also a natural or legally adopted child of the deceased member who is; · Under the age of 21; · Under the age of 25 and a full-time student; · Over the age of 21 and disabled and factually dependant · Child who is yet to be born at time of member’s death.

Q3 When can I retire?

A: The normal retirement age is 60 years for all active members except for judges who retire at 65 years.

Q4 I intend exiting from my employment before I reach 60years. Which benefit do I qualify to receive from PSPF?

A: Depending on the number years of service, one can qualify for the below:

Deferred retirement

A deferred retirement benefit shall be payable to a member who has 10 years of service to his credit and is, on separation, less than forty-five years of age.

Early retirement

A member may retire from the Public Service of the Government of Swaziland if he has ten (10) years’ continuous service and has at least attained the age of forty-five 45 years and such retirement shall be referred to as early retirement.

Resignation/Withdrawal

A member who has been employed for a period of less than 10years can withdraw from government employ.

Q5 On what part of my salary are my contributions and benefits calculated?

A: On your basic salary (pensionable salary)

Q6 If my pensionable salary is adjusted, when will my contributions and benefits be adjusted?

A: Your contributions and benefits are calculated as soon as your pensionable salary has been adjusted.

Q7 How much do I contribute and my employer (Government) contribute for me?

A: You contribute an amount equal to 5% of your monthly pensionable salary to the Fund. The Government contributes 15% of your monthly salary. N.B. This totals to 20% of your monthly salary contributed towards your pension.

Q9 What happens if am seconded to a non pensionable office?

A: A member who has been confirmed in a pensionable office who is temporarily seconded to a non-pensionable office without a break in service may, with the consent of the Fund, continue to be a member, provided he makes the required 5% member and 15% employer contributions.

If the member in the circumstances above elects not to continue his membership in the Fund or is not permitted to do so, he shall be treated as having separated from the Fund and shall be entitled to the appropriate benefit, depending upon his age and service.

Q10 Does my pension increase in the course of time?

A: Yes. The pension payable to you and or dependants will be increased overtime as per the Board’s discretion.

Q11 What happens if, while in the actual discharge of my duty, I am injured or I contract a disease which I am exposed to, owing to the nature of my duty?

A: If you are forced to retire or if you have to retire much earlier as a result of the injury, you will receive a pension on the basis of your actual pensionable service up to date of early retirement

If you were injured while on duty, you will receive an additional pension equal to a proportion of your annual pensionable salary from the date of your injury, depending on the degree to which your capacity to contribute to your own support is impaired